I’ve been beating myself up the last couple of days because I had a bug in the app I’m working on that I couldn’t figure out. It was erratic and kept showing up in different places each time I saw it – kind of like that whack-a-mole game. I doubted my abilities and felt like the entire thing I created was awful because of this one (crashing) flaw. I was overwhelmed and wanted to crawl in a hole and try to forget about everything.

Instead I just kept going. Trying something else, failing, trying something else, failing, researching, stepping away and thinking, trying something else, failing, researching, trying something else, making a little headway, trying something else, and so on. Enough of that and I figured out the problem and a way to reproduce it every time (thank you Apple developer tools). Figuring out the problem was the hard part but solving it was difficult also. The problem was in a piece of third party code that I’d found because I didn’t want to write it myself. I ended up starting all over on the trying something else, failing, trying something else, failing, researching, and stepping away and thinking cycle. I slowly made progress and got to where I needed to be. Hurdling over one doubt at a time.